Mentoring can add significant value to your business through utilising the extensive knowledge investment in your management in the development of your staff. The process of mentoring benefits the mentee, the mentor and your business.
This practical leadership training course introduces mentoring and mentoring skills. It describes and addresses each step in the mentoring process and helps develop the required skills to mentor effectively. From the initial contracting through the use of advice, feedback and coaching skills, delegates will be equipped with the knowledge and awareness of skills to enable them to be effective and confident mentors. At the end of the course, participants are encouraged to prepare personal action plans and instigate a Mentor Buddy system to further their own development as mentors.
Who Should Attend
Any manager or team leader who is seeking to improve the way they motivate and empower their people or who wish to develop the competence of their staff whilst at the same time inspiring them to exceed what were perceived to be their personal limitations.
After attending this leadership training course, participants will have the ability to:
- Understand the role of mentor and how it differs from that of a coach
- Be able to contract effectively with the mentee including covering issues such as process, boundaries, confidentiality and responsibilities
- Develop the mentor/mentee relationship including building rapport
- Develop the key skills of mentoring
- Appropriately deploy coaching and feedback skills to raise awareness of the mentee
- Ensure that responsibility and commitment to action lie with the mentee.
The Role Of Mentor
Managing boundaries & responsibilities
Contracting for a successful relationship
GROWing The Mentee
The mentoring process
Mentor skills continuum
Developing the mentor/mentee relationship
Using your knowledge and experience appropriately (when to advise/when to coach)
Feedback As A Development Tool
Listening to understand vs listening to respond
Powerful mentoring questions
The three stages of feedback
Coaching skills practice
Action planning & buddy system
Personal Development Plan
Developing an individual action plan for implementation back in the workplace.